On this Page:
To import subscription status, on your Import Contact page, click Upload CSV File.
1. Drag and drop your CSV file or click in the box to choose a CSV from your computer. Press Continue.
2. For the "First row in CSV is a header row" check box, make sure this is selected if the first row of your CSV includes column titles.
3. For the columns you want to be imported, select the column types by clicking the dropdown boxes.
Hive will auto-select some column types (such as Email, First name). In the section below, we will walk through what column type to select for the subscription status column.
Selecting the Column Type for Subscription Status
When importing a CSV of emails, all emails are marked as subscribed unless the email address already exists in your Hive account as unsubscribed. If that is the case, they will stay marked as unsubscribed.
To know which emails from the CSV need to be manually unsubscribed, the emails need to be separated into two static segments which can be done by following the steps below.
1. Select the column type Add to Static Segment(s) (comma separated) in the dropdown box. All the emails that have the same text in the subscription status column will be added to a static segment with that name. Once the file is imported, you will unsubscribe the static segment with the unsubscribed email addresses.
For example: In the image below, all the emails with "Yes" in the subscription status column will be added to a static segment called "Yes". All the emails with "No" in the subscription status column will be added to a static segment called "No".
2. Then click the Continue button.
Choosing the Master Segment
1. In the Select a segment section, decide on a Segment that all emails in the CSV will sync into or "Create New Segment" for them to sync into.
Note: Contacts will be added to the chosen segment as well as either the "Yes" or "No" segment which is determined by the "Subscription status" column.
Manually Unsubscribing Imported Emails
Once your file is imported, you will need to manually unsubscribe contacts based on their subscription status.
1. On Your Segment page search for the static segment that has the email addresses that need to be unsubscribed. In the GIF example, we will search for the static segment "No".
2. Click Actions > View Users in Segment.
3. Click More..., then click Unsubscribe Selected users from email
4. Type unsubscribe to permanently unsubscribe the users.